About Change of Status

If your plans change while you are in the United States and you want to study English, you may be eligible to apply and change your status to become a full-time student in the USA by submitting an I-539 application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Changing your status allow you to change your non-immigrant status while remaining in the US awaiting your approval from USCIS. You will not receive a new visa; visas are only issued outside the US.


  1. Apply and receive acceptance into one of BEI’s Intensive English Programs BEI’s COS Checklist
  2. Obtain an initial Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” from Bilingual Education Institute (BEI) *BEI is an SEVP-certified school and is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant students.
  3. Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee.
  4. File a Form I-539, “Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status,” with USCIS. Not all nonimmigrant classifications may change status. Read the instructions carefully to ensure that your category is eligible.