Once you begin your studies in the United States, you may hear an instructor or advisor mention this phrase, “maintain your status.” As a non-immigrant student, you entered the USA with an F visa, and your status refers to the reason or purpose of your visit to the United States – STUDENT. Therefore, to maintain your status, means that you must be a student and follow the associated regulations.
There are many requirements of a student, including, but not limited to the following:
- Enter the USA no more than 30 days before classes begin.
- Inform your school of when you arrive.
- Report to school by the program start date.
- Attend class, and pass your classes.
- Study full-time.
- Inform your advisor of any personal changes, such as moving to a new apartment.
- Do not work if not authorized to do so.